corvid: (I Am Talented)
[personal profile] corvid

So.

I've made it to Calgary for the World Fantasy Convention without incident. I'm checked into my hotel, and will go and register for the con shortly.

When I was coming through customs, the officer asked, "Are you a writer?" Chalk one up for the perception of Canuckistani customs officials, who could pick out my authorly aura at a mere glance.

"Yes, sir," I said.

"You're here for the convention, then?" You could say that Calgary is currently enjoying an influx of people who happen to just be staying for a couple of days for WFC. You could further back this up, by noting that on the shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel - a shuttle bus filled to capacity - there was precisely one person who is not here for WFC.

However, while chatting with the person I was sharing a seat with, she said, "I assume you're here because you're a writer."

Date: 2008-10-30 10:22 pm (UTC)
ext_107945: (microflake)
From: [identity profile] lexinatrix.livejournal.com
Before I ever visited Calgary, I thought it was a big city. Once there, however, I realized it's about a third of the size of the Twin Cities.

How we discovered this was by trying to follow a Google map to get to the zoo. We were used to the scale of maps in the Cities, so we assumed we'd need to travel a good 15-20 minutes before we needed to turn.

Soon we ran out of city and had to turn back. Our turn had been less than 5 minutes away.

So remember kids: Don't be like us! Check the scale on a map before you venture off!

Date: 2008-10-31 01:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] la-luna-llena.livejournal.com
oh this is so cool!

i hope you're having a great convention.

Date: 2008-11-02 04:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] las.livejournal.com
Hey, it was nice to meet you last night!

Date: 2008-11-03 05:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suibhne-geilt.livejournal.com
It was great to meet you, too, this weekend. Hope you've made it home safe & had a good time out at the con.

Profile

corvid: (Default)
corvid

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 03:53 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios