Norwescon!

18 Mar. 24th, 2008 08:21 pm
corvid: (Nigel Travels)
[personal profile] corvid

So.

Arrived home safely from Norwescon last night. Had a wonderful time, enjoyed being in a place that was unseasonably warm while the 100th inch of snow for the winter fell on Madison.

When they say that Mt. Ranier looms over the Seattle skyline, they mean it looms. There was only one day while I was there that it was clear enough to see the mountains from the city, and I wish the picture I'd taken of Ranier had turned out.

But, I took other pictures, which my #1 traveling buddy Nigel shall narrate for you over at his journal.

Date: 2008-03-25 01:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nidea.livejournal.com
not really related, but my friend is running this thing and I thought of you. It's designed for writers in particular.
http://www.quillpill.com/

Date: 2008-03-25 02:35 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] were-duck.livejournal.com
Oh, how was Norwescon?? I was a little disappointed with MiniCon, although I did have some fun there, it sounds like NorwesCon was the place to be this weekend.

Date: 2008-03-25 03:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suibhne-geilt.livejournal.com
Norwescon was good. I'm guessing it was about the size of Wiscon or World Fantasy. It was hard for me to really estimate, because a lot of the con space seemed more crowded, but things like the dealers' room were smaller, but didn't seem as cramped as I'd expect if there were even more people trying to use less space than what I'm used to.

There was a lot of programming devoted to costuming, and a lot of people moving around in costume. There was also a lot or programming devoted to writing and publication, possibly more panels than at Wiscon & World Fantasy combined. Also, the writers' workshop offered either round robin critiques (one pro for 4-5 participants, like Wiscon's), or an individual session with 4 pros. It was really good for me to have a couple of my stories pored over by that many editors and published authors.

The official parts of the con were very well organized, but the social bits were less so - it was work for me to figure out where the different magazines and groups were having parties after hours and the like.

Overall, it was a really good time. I'd be there next year in a heartbeat, but for it being over Easter weekend every year. I don't want to make a habit of blowing off a holiday with the family annually. Maybe an every-other year thing, though...
Edited Date: 2008-03-25 03:24 am (UTC)

Date: 2008-03-25 03:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] were-duck.livejournal.com
that sounds awesome. I love Seattle, too... maybe I'll exert myself in a year or two and go out there.

That's the sucky thing about cons, they seem to fall over holiday weekends.

Date: 2008-03-25 02:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gamethyme.livejournal.com
Part of the reason for the difficulty in finding the parties is because they moved this year.

The Doubletree started actually enforcing rules to which they have barely paid lip service for many years - little things like "If you charge admission to your party, then a hotel employee needs to serve any alcohol." Which means paying a hotel employee to attend the party, which means a corking fee ...

A lot of the parties were cancelled or moved last-minute, so the usual signs didn't have time to get printed.

Date: 2008-03-25 05:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suibhne-geilt.livejournal.com
I caught just enough rumors that that was the case to not want to pass it about myself.

When you mention "charging admission to the party", I'm assuming that means the convention itself, not the individual parties, which would have put a blanket requirement to pay a hotel bartender for any con-sanctioned party?

Date: 2008-03-25 06:08 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gamethyme.livejournal.com
NorWesCon itself doesn't sanction any parties. Instead, several other groups operate the parties themselves - Biohazard being the most (in)famous.

Not all parties charged admission, but those that didn't would have had to change how they did things rather considerably, as well.

A lot of people complained about "rules changes" - it wasn't rules changes. The hotel just started enforcing the rules as written (one rumor is that one party pulled a headboard off of the wall and then had their credit card declined - thus the "new" enforcement).

Date: 2008-03-25 07:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suibhne-geilt.livejournal.com
That's strange. I've actually never been to a party at a con that charged admission.

Meanwhile, at Norwescon, the Weird Tales party did have a hotel bartender, but didn't charge admission. At least they weren't when I got up there at midnight-ish.

Date: 2008-03-25 07:36 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suibhne-geilt.livejournal.com
BTW, do you know about how many people attend Norwescon every year?

Date: 2008-03-25 07:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gamethyme.livejournal.com
No clue - http://www.norwescon.org is probably your best bet for info.

Date: 2008-03-25 09:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suibhne-geilt.livejournal.com
No dice there...

I know that Wiscon gets 1000/yr, and World Fantasy about 850, because both cons cap their membership, and have been selling out in advance for the past few years.

Date: 2008-03-25 09:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gamethyme.livejournal.com
I know it's more than that. Check the forums.

Date: 2008-03-25 10:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gamethyme.livejournal.com
Someone over towards [livejournal.com profile] norwescon may also be able to answer your question.

Date: 2008-03-27 08:32 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chefjen.livejournal.com
Thanks for pics, especially scare quote violation.. I had fun entertaining bleaknimue for a night in your absence and discouraging her from shoveling those last inches of snow.

Profile

corvid: (Default)
corvid

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 05:29 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios